Daniel Blease Jordan

July 13, 1913-May 13, 1983 (70)

Typically when you saw Blease, he would have a small end of a cigar between his teeth and his speech would be garbled somewhat as he worked the cigar around in his mouth.  I’m not sure how much the cigar was ever lighted, but it seemed to always be there.


Blease was a supervisor in Cannon Mills and usually wore a white shirt and tie.  This impressed me because most of the people I knew who worked in the mill were laborers or “lintheads.” My Mother had a tremendous regard for Blease and he was always doing things to help our family.  My siblings and I would join Blease’s family for a week at the beach, and we were frequently visiting in each other’s home.


One time, Blease decided that my mom should use his mule, Jack, to plow her garden.  Tom Barringer, one of our neighbors, had a barn and could manage the mule so it was decided that I would walk the mule from Blease’s house to our house, a distance of 2 or 3 miles.  I would’ve been around 11 or 12 years old, but I was up to the challenge of walking this (presumably) docile mule down Highway 29-A to my house.  About halfway there, a car with some teenagers came by and blew the horn loudly as they passed.  The mule went straight into the air lifting me with him as I held his lead.  Fortunately, he calmed down soon and we resumed our walk.  (Ed Haithcock told me just this year that my mom had asked him to plow with that mule.  He did so, after protesting to her that he had no such experience–a protest which fell on deaf ears.)


Blease had a pecan farm in South Carolina which I visited with him on several occasions.  I remember him bringing grocery bags of pecans to our house around Christmas time.  My mom would shell huge pots of pecans, some of which went into Christmas cakes and others into the freezer.


Blease and his son Tommy kept chickens on Tommy’s nearby property and I was always fascinated as a youngster to go into the chicken barns and watch the birds scatter as we walked through.


Blease, like other brothers of my mom, took a special interest in seeing that our needs were met.  I recall him helping my mom arrange to have our driveway paved and/or our heating system replaced and he may have actually helped financially with that as well.


I always enjoyed Blease’s family: Frances and Tommy and Tommy’s wife, Ruth, as well.  As the grandchildren began to come along, I somewhat lost touch with some of the family but I was always impressed with Frances’s husband, Johnny Nicholson.  He was very tall and lean, sang and played guitar which was of tremendous interest to me.  Unfortunately, he was killed in a freak hunting accident in 1973.


Blease married Josie Bell Hancock on November 21, 1932. They had 2 Children, Tommy and Frances. They moved to Kannapolis in 1939.

Thomas Lee Jordan was born May 15, 1933 in Mt. Croghan, SC. He married Ruth Sigmon April 22,1951. Tommy worked in Cannon Mills for most of his life and raised chickens and operated other businesses. He died of cancer March 2, 2002.


Their daughters are Patricia Ann Jordan Goodnight, Shirley Ruth Jordan Beaver and Cynthia Kay Jordan Barnhardt.



Patricia Jordan Goodnight was born on June 4, 1953 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital. She graduated in 1971 from A.L. Brown High School and in 1975 from Appalachian State University. She has worked as a teacher for Cabarrus County Schools for more than 28 years with speech and language students and exceptional children. She is married to Jeff Goodnight (June 28, 1980). They have two sons.


Eric Z. Goodnight was born on October 3, 1981 and graduated in 2004 from East Carolina University with a degree in illustration. He works for Concord Engineering.


Bradley L. Goodnight was born on May 4. 1983 and is a senior at NC State University.


Shirley Ruth Jordan Beaver is the second daughter of Ruth and Thomas Jordan. Shirley Ruth was born on June 29, 1956 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord and graduated from A.L. Brown High School in 1974.


She completed an executive secretarial course in 1976 from Rowan Technical College.  She now works as an administrative assistant. She married John Michael Deaver on November 22, 1986 and they have one child.


Crystal Dawn Beaver was born on July 14, 1983 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord.  Crystal graduated from Liberty High School in 2001 and received a degree in Veterinary Technology from Tri County Technical College and now works as a Veterinary technician.  Crystal has one child, Tyler Christopher Stratton born on March 10, 2005.


Cynthia Kay Jordan Barnhardt was born on June 9, 1959.


Mary Frances Jordan Nicholson is Blease’s second child. She was born on June 21, 1937 at Mt. Croghan, SC. She graduated from Winecoff High School in 1956 and married Johnny Nicholson of China Grove on July 3, 1957. Their three children are:


David Wayne Nicholson, born on February 17, 1958. He graduated from A.L. Brown High School in 1976. He married Angie Cook on November 10, 1985. They have 2 daughters:


Kristi Nichelle attended A.L. Brown High School and was in the marching band, where she was drum major for 3 years. She was on the swim team and tennis team; in the National Honor Society, Anchor Club and Earth & Environmental Club. She was in Who’s Who Among America’s High School Students as well as a Junior Rotarian. She graduated in 2005 Suma Cum Laude. Kristi received a $2,000 scholarship from Philip Morris and is attending Rowan Cabarrus Community College studying dental hygiene. Outside of school, Kristi is very active in her church, filling in for the pianist and singing in the choir.


Kaila Nochole is active in church playing piano and singing in the choir. She has played for the middle school tennis team and is a freshman at A.L. Brown High School. She is in the ROTC and plays on the tennis team. After graduation, she plans to attend RCCC for early childhood education or Journalism.


Johnny Edward Nicholson, Jr. was born on June 23, 1959 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord. He graduated from A.L. Brown High School in 1977 and from Rowan County Community College in 1978. He was married to Donna Brock on March 19,1983.  Eddie works with the telephone company and Donna works with the head start school system. They have 2 children:


Miranda Shea Nicholson was born on December 4, 1985 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord, NC. She graduated with honors in 2004 from A.L. Brown High School in Kannapolis and is attending CPCC in Charlotte studying to be a dental hygienist. Miranda was in the school band for 2 years, DECCA Club, Key Club, Vocational Honor Society, Anchor’s Club and played soccer as well. She enjoys working out.


Jordan Brock Nicholson was born on March 7, 1989 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord, NC and is now in the 11th grade at A.L. Brown High School in Kannapolis. Jordan enjoys cars.


Leigh Ann Nicholson Davis was born on December 29, 1969 at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital in Concord. She graduated from A.L. Brown High School in 1988 and received a B.S. in Psychology and Counseling in 1992. She achieved a K-12 perfect attendance record! She is married to Steve Davis, an associate pastor at Parkwood Baptist Church in Concord. They have 3 daughters:


Ashleigh Nichole Davis born on May 18, 1997;

Allison Nichele Davis born on September 21, 2000 and

Anna Noelle Davis born on March 23, 2002.


Notes from Francis Nicholson about the homeplace…


I remember all the food and a table full of pies at Christmas when all the clan gathered in.  The dining room was strung with money from corner to corner the children had given.  I thought Granddaddy was rich!


I’ll never forget the trip to Florida with Tincie and Granddaddy.  It was so hot–no air conditioning.  He sat in the front seat with Daddy all the time.  He would dip snuff and spit out the window and it would come right in the back window on me.  I was really glad to get back to Kannapolis because of all the mosquito bites.


Going out on the back porch and drawing water out of the well was a pleasant memory.  That was so cool to me.   I loved doing it.


Blackberry picking was always an adventure.  Granddaddy always carried the gun to kill the snakes.  Once, he led the way and stepped across a little ditch–the rest of the group stopped and screamed.  He turned around and said, “Good gosh, there’s a snake.” He had stepped right over it.  He killed the snake and we took the rattlers home and kept them on the mantel.


Another thing I think of so often: he kept oranges, apples and tangerines in the front living room. You could smell them all over the house.  Newsom, Ruby, Thomas and myself had some before Christmas.


Going swimming in the creek, and the swing that was in the huge tree beside the well is a pleasant memory.  We loved it.  God was taking care of us as well as he did when our parents lived on Black Creek.  No one ever got a snake bite or got hurt.


My memory of Granddaddy is seeing him with a snuff brush in the corner of his mouth and sitting on his lap on the front porch.  He always would pat you on the arm or leg.  I thought he was the greatest Granddaddy in the world.  I am so thankful to be part of the Lonnie Jordan clan!


Notes from Francis Nicholson about her father and mother…


I remember Daddy saying it was one of the hardest decisions to sell his livestock and belongings and move to Kannapolis to make a living for his family.  He never got a degree from school but he was very smart.  He was a whiz with math and numbers and spelling.  He was always a leader.  Many friends would come to Dad for his advice and want his opinion to make decisions.  Even his dad would say, “I need to talk to Blease and see what he thinks.”


He was always concerned about his family, especially Trudie when she lost Maro.  At Christmas, he would contact all the other siblings and make up money and make sure Trudie had what she needed.


That same love came in when it was retirement age.  He felt he needed to work on to help me and my three children while he was able and still had good health.  He was a father to my children and helped them in many ways.  Social security for me was $500, a little more than Trudie.  With the help of the Lord and my mom and dad we made it through.  I will always be forever grateful to them.  They always worked hard to make a difference in someone else’s life.


–Frances Jordan Nicholson


David Nicholson remembers the time he went to Winn-Dixie and found Uncle Wilson down his knees picking up drinks.  He had loaded his pickup truck full of drinks in the parking lot and left the tailgate open.  When he went up the hill to exit, all the drinks slid out.  Wilson said he was glad to see David show up.  David says Wilson had about three or four hundred cans rolling all over the parking lot!